I have a fantastic recipe for you today. Yep, another recipe from the girl who doesn’t like to cook. Crazy, huh? Believe it or not, I don’t mind baking. And who doesn’t like cookies? So, I went to the family Christmas cookie expert, my dad, looking for a great recipe to share. His first suggestion was his amazing holiday spice cookies!
***This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.***
Holiday Spice Cookies
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup black strap molasses
- 1 egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground cloves
- granulated sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Place shortening and sugar in a large mixing bowl and cream until light and fluffy. Add molasses and egg. Beat well.
- In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, and cloves. Gradually add shortening mixture to the dry mixture and mix well.
- Shape mixture into 1/2 inch+ balls and roll in sugar.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets and flatten with the bottom of a glass.
- Sprinkle a small amount of sugar on top of cookies.
- Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove from cookies sheets and place on wire racks to cool. Cookies will be crisp!