Our children will be out of school for the summer before we know it! You know what that means, don’t you? We’re only weeks, or even days, away from hearing the words Mom, I’m bored on a daily basis. Which means you need some fun things to do with your kids this summer ASAP.
If your children will be at a camp everyday, you’re covered. But the rest of us need some ideas. So, I decided I need to be proactive and come up with a list of fun things we can do together this summer.
Free Things to Do With Your Kids This Summer
Some of the things on this list are totally free and others are almost free. Some are outdoor activities and others are inside (because great summer weather is not a guarantee). Some can be done at home and others involve going somewhere else. Several of them could actually be done any time of year. You have probably done at least a few of them before and I’m sure there are many, MANY more activities that I didn’t think to include. I hope you find something fun to do with your family this summer!
Summer Family Fun Out and About
- Build something together at the Home Depot Kids Workshops.
- Make fun crafts at your local Lakeshore Learning store.
- Enjoy the $1 kids movies at Regal Cinemas Summer Movie Express.
- Make a craft by participating in a Michaels Kids Club event.
- Take your kids bowling at a participating Kids Bowl Free center.
- Take your kids roller skating at a participating Kids Skate Free center.
- Participate in the Summer Reading Program at your local library.
- While you’re at the library, head over to the DVDs and introduce your kids to movies and TV shows from your childhood!
- Pick an interesting book series and see how many books you can read.
- Visit different playgrounds all over town.
- Take a nature walk.
- Go get snowballs and try a new flavor.
- Watch the 4th of July fireworks.
- Visit a beach (if you have one close by), collect seashells, and build sand castles.
- If you have a membership to the local zoo, aquarium, science center, museum, etc., take advantage of it and go!
- Go on a bike ride.
- Take a walk around the neighborhood.
- Go fishing.
- Visit an art museum.
- Fly a kite.
- Take a scenic drive.
- Visit a farmer’s market and try a new fruit or vegetable.
- Feed the ducks at a nearby lake.
- Go roller skating.
- Just go someplace you’ve never been before!
Summer Family Fun At Home
- Play in the sprinkler.
- Draw with sidewalk chalk.
- Have a picnic in your yard.
- Have a water balloon fight.
- Blow bubbles.
- Get creative with paper bags, paper towel rolls, craft sticks, paper, boxes, and other things you can find around the house.
- Have a board game night and try a new one or an old favorite.
- Enjoy a family movie night.
- Have a backyard camp-out.
- Make homemade lemonade.
- Play outside in the rain.
- Make your own popsicles.
- Drop everything and read, inside or outside.
- Play classic outdoor activities, like jump rope, hula hoop, and hop scotch.
- Plant a garden.
- Paint with water.
- Catch lightning bugs.
- Celebrate Christmas in July by making an ornament to save for December.
- Build an indoor fort.
- Write a letter to a friend or relative…not an e-mail.
- Eat dessert for dinner one night.
- Have a yard sale.
- Sit outside at night and gaze at the stars.
- Have a water gun battle.
- Take a nap!
Did I forget anything? What free or almost free summer family fun do you have planned?